Improve your health naturally
Get started on your naturopathic journey TodayBook an Appointment
What Is A Yeast Infection?The vagina contains a combination of yeast and bacteria. These work to combat harmful organisms and help to maintain health. However, when the balance is thrown off, the fungus candida may grow out of control – this is a yeast infection.
Symptoms Of Yeast InfectionsAlthough you’ve probably heard about yeast infections, some people may be asking how they will know if they have one. The most commonly cited symptoms include itching and discomfort.However, you may also experience some or all of the following: ❖ Redness, and a burning sensation ❖ Swelling of the genitals ❖ Pain or a burning feeling during urination ❖ A white, odourless discharge, which is similar in appearance and thickness to cottage cheese. Although these signs may be concerning, there are many easy and natural treatments, which we will look at today.
Causes Of Yeast InfectionsSo you think you may have a yeast infection, but how did you get it? There are a variety of possible causes, including: ❖ Antibiotics: Although effective for treating some illnesses, antibiotics can also kill “good” bacteria throughout your body, including in your vagina, which can lead to yeast infections. ❖ Hormones: Changes which occur during pregnancy, breast feeding, menopause, or if you are taking hormonal birth control can lead to yeast infections. ❖ Diabetes: If not well controlled, the imbalance of sugar in your mucus membranes can create and inviting space for yeast to grow. ❖ Sex: Although it is not a sexually transmitted infection, it can be passed from person to person through close sexual contact. ❖ Vaginal sprays: These types of products can upset the balance of healthy bacteria in your vagina and lead to a yeast infection. ❖ Weakened Immune system: This can cause yeast to grow unchecked.
Natural Solutions For Yeast InfectionsThere are many natural ways to impact the growth of yeast and bacteria in the vagina. Let’s have a look at some of the ways to naturally treat yeast infections.
1. ProbioticsProbiotics can help to balance the levels of yeast and bacteria in the body. They can be taken orally, or as vaginal suppositories – it should be noted that oral supplements can take up to 10 days to be effective. Look for supplements containing strains of the bacteria lactobacillus acidophilus.
2. Oil of OreganoAlthough primarily thought of as an additive for food flavouring, the medicinal properties of Oil of Oregano have been recognized for a long time. A 2001 study in the journal of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry showed it to be effective in prohibiting the growth of Candida albicans, which causes yeast infections. Oil of Oregano can be used either internally, orally, or both at once to treat an infection. It’s a good idea to speak to an experienced practitioner before using oil of oregano, though, since it can be harmful at higher doses
3. Vitamin COne factor which can contribute to yeast infections is a weak immune system. Vitamin C is an immune booster, and a strong immune system can help to bring the body back into balance. It can also have antimicrobial properties, which help to combat Candida growth.
4. Tea Tree OilTea tree oil has antifungal, anti-viral, and anti-bacterial properties which make it a great tool in the fight against yeast infections. It can be used as a vaginal suppository when combined with a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil – never apply it without first diluting it. Never take tea tree oil by mouth.
5. Coconut OilCoconut oil has antifungal properties, which have been shown to be effective against Candida albicans, which can cause yeast infections. Coconut oil can be applied directly to the infected area. Be sure to always purchase pure, organic coconut oil for this purpose.
Contact Annex NaturopathicAre you currently dealing with a yeast infection or other vaginal health issue? Have you tried these natural remedies, but are looking for another way to help deal with the issue faster? Annex Naturopathic can help. Contact us today to set up a consultation, and we’ll work together to find the right treatment for your vaginal health concerns.
Improve Your Health
Book a free 15 minute consultationBook an Appointment