The new year is a great time to reset and create intentions for the following months.
Health is the foundation of life.
Our health is not limited to our physical parameters.
It also includes our emotional and spiritual health.
Here are some resolutions alongside specific actions that you can implement this year.
And, if you need some help getting back on track in 2018, the NDs at Annex Naturopathic Clinic are here to support you.
1. Create healthy boundaries with technology and social media.
- Get an alarm clock so that your phone isn’t the first thing you look at in the morning and the last thing you interact with at night. Try to get 30 minutes of screen-free time before bed.
- Leave your phone in you pocket/ purse (preferably on airplane mode) when you’re with friend and family.
- Delete apps that you may have an addiction to. Take breaks from social media. Ask yourself, “is this adding value to my life?” If not, perhaps you can distance yourself from it.
2. Increase your vegetable (especially GREEN vegetable) intake.
- Ensure you have vegetables in your fridge. Great options include:
- Pre-washed organic salads mixes. It’s easy to just add a healthy dressing like olive oil and balsamic vinegar, throw in a container and eat!
- Broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts are nutrient dense and keep well in the fridge. Simply chop up, steam or roast and eat with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Choose the side salad option when eating out.
- Throw a handful of spinach or mixed greens into your smoothie.
3. Begin the day with a big glass of water.
- Upon rising, head straight to the kitchen and fill yourself a pint-sized glass of water.
- Finishing drinking your water before having any caffeinated beverages (coffee and tea can be dehydrating- especially first thing in the morning).
4. Focus on what’s going “right” in your life.
- Write done 3 good things that happened to you each day.
- Savour the moment- for at least 7 seconds. Moments to savour can be anything- like time spent in nature, a tasty meal or the comfort of a hot bath. Let yourself enjoy.
- Celebrate the small wins. Taking note of the small steps forward and focusing on the little changesgives you a sense of accomplishment.
5. Spend more time in nature.
- Make use of city parks. Whether it be on your lunch break or on your walk home – spending some time outside, amongst the trees can help alleviate stress.
- Take road trips outside the city and explore.
- Camping (or glamping if you aren’t into roughing it) allows you to have some sustained time in the great outdoors and will often calm a part of your soul that needs it most.
Hopefully some of these resolutions – or intentions- resonate with you.
If you’re curious to learn more about this subject or would like to consult with one of our NDs feel free to book a visit or contact us.
Yours in Health,
Dr. Marnie Luck, N.D
Annex Naturopathic Clinic
572 Bloor St W #201, Toronto, ON M6G 1K1